Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My thoughts on country music

Hey y'all!  This one AIN'T about food. 

Now this is possibly the most controversial thing I am ever going to say.  I don't like Taylor Swift.  I hope she never reads this, because surely if she does she'll diss me in a song.  But I have to admit it.  I just am not a fan.  Now, I don't hate her, but I just don't see how little Miss Swift has any relevance in my life.  I like songs by women, not girls.  Women who have lived and who will sing songs about stuff I relate to.  Women's songs that make me think.  I remember as a kid hearing some songs and thinking "one day...one day I am going to understand that song."  And sure enough, I got a few hard years under me and I hear those songs and this brilliant light goes off and I say, I GOT IT! 

That song for me recently has been Suzy Boggus, Aces.  I loved that song for a lot of years because it just plain sounded good, though I never understood why she was holding a handful of aces and not playing them.  Turns out, she was playing them and that was the problem.  I totally understand now when Trisha Yearwood sings about songs remembering stuff.  Loretta, I understand why you are so dang proud of Butcher Holler.  It made you who you are.  Patty Loveless, I can't hear 'Here I am' without thinking back on my ex.  I carried that flame for more years than I would like to admit, now it just breaks my heart because he has to carry flames of regret for his past.  I know he does, even when he won't admit it.  Not over me necessarily, but over everything.  They just make sense now more than ever.  Now if I was a teenage girl, then Taylor would be all that and a bowl of grits.  But I'm not, therefore, she's not to me. 

Another thing...what in the world has happened to my beloved country music??  Someone, please explain this phenomenon to me.  When did my country music go pop?  When did steel guitars and fiddles get traded in for someone 'shredding' (I think that is the term) on the electric guitar?  Or synthesized noises that sound like bubbles and whatnot?  What do you reckon has happened?  I am at a total loss for what is going on here.  Why oh why is some lady doing a reggae rap in a "country" song?  Someone please help me understand.  Why are these boys wearing shirts that look like they got ironed on a cold rock only shortly after having been beaten against a running chainsaw?  And the earrings.  Boys...earrings?  Really? 

Okay, since you are reading, and I am writing, let me tell you about some REAL songs I love and why.

Amarillo By Morning (Chris LeDoux or George Strait)- Dang fool lost it all while chasing the rodeo.  How many of you boys who rodeo (and presumably don't read blogs) understand that song? 
Tougher Than The Rest- (Chris LeDoux) Ladies, how many of us wanted our man to stand up and say, "I got this, and I got you.  I'm not that guy" - and mean it?  How many of us wanted to hear that from Chris LeDoux?  ME!
I've Always Been Crazy(Waylon Jennings) 'nuff said.  But it did keep me from going insane.
Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold (Dan Seals) You don't have to have very much life behind you to figure this one out.  Sometimes though, we don't pay the true cost until way later down the road.
Good Old Boys Like Me (Don Williams) Just because this man's voice is as smooth as good sippin whiskey and I could listen to him sing the phone book.  I think a lot of us relate to Don Williams' songs.
Any song by Suzy Boggus - Whether it is Someday Soon, Aces, Hey Cinderella.  I love this gal.  I love this gal's songs.  She sings about stuff I have lived and I love her for it.  It takes a few years of living to sing like that; with that emotion, power and truthfulness in your voice. 

Okay, I may end up going on like this for days and I am pretty sure that none of y'all care about any of this.  I guess I was just wondering what happened to music.  Why has it gone downhill so fast?  Anyone have an opinion? 

Even if your opinion is go back to talking about food, lemme hear ya.

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment