Thursday, December 30, 2010

Have you thought about resolutions yet?

All day today I have been distracted by potential New Year's resolutions.  Is there anyone else out there feeling my same pain/shame/confusion over this dilemma?  Here's the rub...I want to resolve to do all kinds of great stuff.  A few things on the agenda- end world hunger, bring about world peace, get back to my 22 year old weight, cook home made meals every night, always keep a clean house, entertain like Paula Dean, redecorate on a dime, save 20k and pay off all of my remaining debt.  For starters.

I know that there are a few things on there that just aren't going to happen; such as cook home made meals every night and always keep a clean house.  World hunger?  Peace?  Totally doable in my mind.  So why is it that we tend to sabotage ourselves before we even get out of the gate on January 1st?  I always set these lofty goals that are just crazy unobtainable and beat myself (and my family) up when I just cannot get there. 

Do I think I will look like my 22 year old self?  No.  Do I really want to?  Not exactly.  I would love to fit in those clothes and have all my parts in their proper places without the use of straps, wires and boning.  But I also know undoubtedly that I have grown fond of my scars, my wrinkles and my grey hairs.  Could I lose weight?  Of course.  So why not resolve to set a reasonable goal?  One that incorporates grey hair, scars, wrinkles, straps, wires and perhaps less boning?

And while I may never entertain quite as well as Paula Dean I recognize that it would be nice to hear a neighbor confide that she looks forward to dinner at my house?  I can conquer world hunger and world peace one meal with one neighbor at a time, can't I?

Yes, I will make resolutions.  I will make some very important resolutions as this year they are much needed.  In fact, I will even let you, my three loyal readers, know exactly what those resolutions are.  But I will also try to be realistic in doing so.  What are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment