Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's in a name?

Why in the world would I name my blog "Love and Buttermilk"?  Simple!  I love buttermilk.  I not only love buttermilk, but I love the thought of buttermilk.  I love the sound of buttermilk when you say it.  It rolls off the tongue so easily.  I love how buttermilk is made- or more correctly drawn from the milk curd.  I love what is left when the buttermilk is drawn off the milk fat.  I love butter.  I love cooking with buttermilk.  I love buttermilk poured over cornbread.  I just LOVE buttermilk.  And since every single sensible name was taken, Love and Buttermilk it is. 

I love chicken too, but that just sounds a little funny.  Love and Chicken?  No thank you!  I dream of chicken and buttermilk.  I marinate my chicken in buttermilk and eggs to fry it.  In fact, I love chicken so much that I woke up from a major surgery in that drug haze talking about chicken once.  The nurses wheeling me to ICU all got a big kick out of it and laughed it up that I was sooooo loopy from the drugs, but my husband set them straight.  No, she really does love chicken that much.  I don't love to eat chicken so much as I love the the bird itself.  It is such a practical little animal.  More on chicken later; after all this is a buttermilk post. 

So in honor of the wonder that is buttermilk, I will leave you with one of my all time favorite recipes.  Please, if you read this, give it a try and let me know what you think!

BUTTERMILK PIE
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 eggs
1 cup BUTTERMILK!
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell

Cream butter at hight speed of an electric mixer; gradually add sugar, beating well.
Add flour and beat until smooth. 
Add eggs; beat until blended.
Add buttermilk and vanilla; beat well. 
Pour filling into pastry shell.  Bake at 400 for 5 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 45 minutes or until set.  Cool to room temperature; then chill.

Enjoy and spread the buttermilk love!
~leah

1 comment:

  1. You should add to your "about me" that you've been to Fingerville. Hahaha!!!! My stepdad used to make us drink buttermilk and that. stuff. is. vile. I still love ya though!!
    Congrats on your blog!! Now you're cool...;)
    Elise

    ReplyDelete