Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recipe time again!  Of course, with many recipes, there is a back story...and this one is no exception. 

So...I have been feeling a wee bit under the weather with a sinus infection and upper respiratory infection, yet was unwilling to break plans with some friends of ours last night.  Thank goodness our friends aren't too uppity, so simple meals work out well during times like this.  Now, I like to cook a big southern meal for my friends and family, but last night they would have gotten bologna sandwiches if it weren't for my wonderful son, Joshua and my spark of genius.  My modesty is another gift, but we will save that for a later date. 

The big idea??  Hot dog buffet, baby!  It was super simple...bags of snack chips in a big bowl, hot dogs and buns on a plate and condiments all in a row.  My son made a pot of homemade chili (with mom's help of course) and we were all set!  In honor of a wonderful tasting, super easy chili, I am giving you the recipe.  My wonderful Aunt Dorothy gave me this recipe at Thanksgiving, 2000 along with her church's cook book, published in 1994.  To this day, it is one of my favorites!

Savory Chili

4 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lbs. ground beef
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 c. water
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, undrained


Saute celery, green onion, garlic, onion and pepper in oil in a large dutch oven until tender.  Add ground beef and brown, stirring to crumble meat; drain well.  Add tomato sauce, paste, water, chili powder, salt and pepper to beef mixture.  Stir well.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until desired consistency.  Add kidney beans the last 15 minutes.  Serve with the following condiments if desired: shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, tortilla chips.  Yields 10 cups.
Here's Levi helping with the chili.  Josh was the chef, Levi was his sous chef.

I am no food photographer, despite the picture, the taste was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment